Saturday, December 22, 2012

Is Windows 8 really that simple? NO.

Some guy posts this video on Google+ (I know, right? What the hell am I doing on G+! LOL), and says "Genius, filmed in real life. Is Windows 8 really that simple?"





My reactions:
1. It was one (or two) kid(s), who was(/where) obviously trained to do this. Now, what? Should all kids (and adults) get training, too, so that Windows 8 becomes that simple? Last I heard, that's exactly the opposite of intuitive.
2. The question that we should ask is, if we give this device to other kids, what would they do? Like, what if they "accidentally" go to Desktop Mode, where, sure, kids with their little fingers, would not have as difficult a time as adults in clicking on the tiny little buttons? What would they do if they "discovered" Windows Explorer and how to delete, move, and copy files? Would you let them use this device in the first place? Would kids really intuitively think about upgrading the RAM and what not? The question also is, what would kids who have used an iPad, and yet to be trained to use this device, think of this device?
3. This is real life? You mean the kid(s) is(/are) employed to do this simple demonstration all the time? Last I heard, child labor is bemoaned in certain circles. Of course, he(/they) is(/are) not exactly employed. Because this is all a well-practiced stunt specifically made for this advertisement. Like this other advertisement I just recently saw on YouTube. But this one sucks. Other people might think I miss the point of this commercial. What is it, really? That's the point, I don't get it. Simple? Intuitive? NO. Actually, I think it's Microsoft, and their ad agency who conceptualised this, are the ones who are missing the point.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Windows 8 (and the Surface) was the most innovative thing since the iPhone in 2007. But like most other people, we're all really flabbergasted at the failure of Windows 8 and the Surface to live up to the hype. And for that, I go back to the early dominant days of Windows when this song became a hit:

No comments:

Post a Comment