Thursday, May 31, 2012

My tech journey (Part 3 of 3)

My Presario was with me until December 2009, when I bought a 13" Macbook Air look-a-like from MSI. But unlike the Macbook Air, this MSI thing was half as cheap, all-black, had stickers on, ran the highly unsuccessful and very slow Windows Vista (with a free upgrade to Windows 7), was made of plastic and ran on an Intel Atom processor (i.e. weak). I really only bought it for the looks and for its very light weight, but otherwise it was not so much an improvement in performance over my Presario. I should mention though that the Presario is still being used by my brother-in-law, while that MSI is still with my brother, although I would think he's using his iPad 2 more than that crap.


2010 came and my 4th Palm product (I've owned a Vx, Zire 72, Zire 72s, and finally a TX) and my 5-year old Presario were already becoming obsolete. But then I have had a slight career change, and I found myself able to afford a 2009 MacBook Pro 13". And then I lost my flip phone and got an iPhone 4 as a replacement. This year, I gave my MBP to my wife (hehe, she's not so tech-savvy and it meets her needs), and I got me a MacBook Air 11" instead - because I travel usually for business a little bit more often. For all these purchases, I gave careful considerations to my needs. And they are all perfect.

In 2011, I won in an online contest by Samsung, and I got a Samsung Galaxy Y as prize - my first ever Android phone. Like I said in Episode 2 of my not-so-successful first try at podcasting, it's not an iPhone competitor but for its price it is great. And I like that it looks a lot like an iPhone. :D

In the future, I wish to be able to purchase the lampshade-like iMac G4, one of the current generation iMacs with the latest Intel processors, a PowerMac G4 Cube, and a Mac Mini (but if possible, the one with a SuperDrive). I would also really like to have a product with that classic Macintosh form factor; you know, the one that said Hello, but I'm not expecting. :D

Along the way, it was nice to know at least three other people who are true Apple/Mac fanbois who gave me glimpses of what I really want in an electronic device.

One last funny bit: From ca. 2000 to 2004, and 2007 to 2009, I was very busy then working as a structural engineer where it's all about Windows. Yup, not so much fun. I obtained my undergraduate degree in 1999 and my professional license in 2000, and was finishing my master's thesis from 2005 to 2006. 2010 to now I'm pursuing my PhD. Hmmm. Are Macs best suited for students? :D


No comments:

Post a Comment