Monday, June 4, 2012

Open letter to YouTube

Dear YouTube/Google,

I'm already starting to get fed up with this. Most of my videos uploaded on YouTube are my own personal recordings, with overlain music I mixed using GarageBand's royalty-free loops (as stated in Apple's terms."

GarageBand loops, as you might/should know, are free to use, except when the loops are used and distributed individually. The GarageBand software license agreement says:
"GarageBand Software. You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."
Now all of these videos with GarageBand music that I have uploaded are being claimed to have music owned by others. The most recent example is my video on http://youtu.be/NO2fixZxx7k. I searched for the "copyrighted" music I wasn't supposedly licensed to use and those "copyrighted" songs only used GarageBand loops as well!

From your side, you shouldn't have allowed these songs to have copyright claim over similar sounding music when they are all from the same royalty-free music source (e.g. GarageBand).

But now, the burden is on me and on countless others to dispute the copyright claim and so on. The innocent are guilty unless we prove we are innocent? I tried going through the claim dispute process, and I get a message from YouTube that I should seek legal counsel if I am not sure about what I'm doing. Why do we have to go through all this?

Please do something about it. People who currently have the copyright to certain music but should not (since they are simply using royalty-free music as well), are earning from ads being displayed on all MY PERSONAL VIDEOS. And this is not just for me, too. I've looked around on forums and many have been encountering this issue for years now. Please do something about it.

Regards,

RONJIE.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment